Monday, September 15, 2008

Giant White People

Yep, that's us! This morning, we went to visit Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum. It was closed and will remain closed for two months, presumably so they can repair the body. Anyway, we got tickets to the HCM museum. It didn't take long for a young Vietnamese woman to take my arm and say, "Photo?" She wanted to have her picture taken with me. So, we posed. A few minutes later, another lady approached me because she also wanted her picture taken. Then she had a photo taken with Brad. In both instances, these women put their arms around us. It was sweet. So, what's the deal, you ask? Well, I experienced this in China. Our guides in China said many people are fascinated by a tall, white, dark-haired woman. There was a guy in our China group who was a tall, white, dark-haired man whose hair was wavy. He was quite a favorite with the Chinese ladies and again, our guides said it was his "uniqueness," especially the WAVY dark hair. But the crowning moment of this morning's adventure was when I stopped to buy an embroidered tote bag (I forgot to pack a small purse). The vendor lady patted her belly and said, "Baby?" She was asking if I was pregnant. Sorry, lady. Just fat! Brad thought this was funny. I was quite deflated because I thought I looked cute in my little sun dress...I guess the cut is a little too billowy. After that, Brad and I couldn't resist sketching out an article for People Magazine's "bump watch:"

"Does Missy have a bump? She wore a loose fitting dress during a recent visit to the Ho Chi Minh Museum in Hanoi. She also bought this tote bag and used it to cover her belly. A close friend says Missy would be thrilled to have a baby. She was also spotted at a local market looking at baby clothes. When asked about a possible pregnancy, the American journalist laughed and said, 'I'm just eating more breakfast than usual.'"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you handled that very well Missy...I can so empathize with how you felt! Hopefully you know when your G n R is by now-leaving at 5am is actually a blessing-we did not get home until almost 9pm when we went, and we left at 10am.
I'm sure you both are getting so excited!!! Can't wait to see those photos over here...
Love
Kel

Unknown said...

Oh Gosh Missy, I so understand. When we first moved to Guam, I was very tall, very white with long wavy red hair. I was younger and didn't handle the attention well. I almost drowned trying to swim down the beach from this Japanese guy with a video camera! Anyway, I am crossing fingers for Thursday!!!

Brad is so witty and a hoot!

Hugs!
Crystal

Katie and Justin said...

Imagine if I were there too...they probably would think we are twins! Perhaps we could do a side show to kill time whilst you wait for your G&R. Ha! BTW you look fabulous...if they think you are prego, you should tell them that you are "expecting"!!
Much love and prayers!
p.s. Tula says she can't wait to play with her bestest friend Zeke.