Saturday, September 20, 2008

Day Two Observations from Mom & Dad

A collection of observations from our second day as parents:

- God bless single moms. This is a lot of work and doing it with a committed partner is hard enough.

- It's all about making messes and cleaning them up. At least at this stage. Brad's more partial to clean up than mess making. (That's a first!)

- Missy is the most beautiful Brad has ever seen her.

- Crying isn't about pain. It's a communication frustration.

- It's a marvel to see developmental progress happen before your eyes. Even the small act of a child mimicking his parent tossing a plastic cup is a sight to behold.

- Maybe he'll be big enough to go see The Hobbit when it comes out in a few years.

- I keep trying to prepare an answer for when someone asks how much HE cost. Here's what I've come up with so far:
On behalf of adoptive parents everywhere, allow me the utmost courtesy to make you aware of how offensive that question framed that way is. By asking how much a child costs, you relegate them down to a big screen TV or a new car. They aren't things that are purchased.

You probably didn't mean it that way. You've probably heard that adoptions, particularly international ones, can be expensive and you were just curious. There are substantial fees for the U.S. government, the government of the country from which you are adopting, the agencies that make it all possible as well as the travel there.
But the child is priceless. I hope that answers your question. If you have any other questions about the adoption process,
I would love to tell you about it. It's a remarkable journey and one I love sharing, douche bag.


- It's really trial and error. Will he eat congee? Will he get in the pool? Will he wear a hat? You just try and see how he reacts. It's all about building the new neurons.

- I told him his grandchildren will be paying for the federal mortgage bailout.

- Some pictures from Saturday's adventures:






- And now for this final funny in light of what we're learning about:



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oy vey! I came in to check the blog real quick and ended up burning the french toast. No worries it was worth it. The excited new adventures of the Belote family have me addicted -- right down to the poo!

If it's possible, and I beleive it is, Zeke is more beautiful today than he was yesterday! Love just oozes from all of your pictures!

Your answer is spot on by the way. Just call me if you ever need someone to shout out an "AMEN!" just as you hit the douche bag part!!

We're off to a little guys soccer game now ... something you all will be doing before you know it.

Eat up every moment of that adorable blessing!

kingsport said...

GREAT PICS. WE CAN'T WAIT TO SEE LITTLE GUY. LOOKS LIKE HE IS REALLY TAKING TO MOM AND DAD. BUT I THINK HE NEEDS TO BE SPOILED BY SOME GRANDPARENTS TOO. HAVE FUN. GRANDA-PA RON...

Mrs. Misty said...

Fabulous, just fabulous. Zeke looks like he is adapting so well. Mom and Dad don't look half bad either!!! Your little guy is adorable. I like your answer to one of the dumbest questions in the world, right down to the douche bag!!! And yes, everything comes down to poo...can't figure out why he's crying, maybe poo!!!
Love,
Misty

Unknown said...

One more thing. A blast from the past? You finally got you BFP!!!!!!!!!!!

Crystal

just jill said...

I'm loving the pictures. In them I am seeing a new light in your eyes. That light is Zeke.

Love you,
Jill

P.S. What the heck is congee???!

trav said...

Love it all. Keep posting. This is great... let me make one recommendation to your prepared answer. Begin with the patented steve belote how-dumb-are-you? look around and then cock you head, squint you eye just right and start... this will let D-bags know that they are stupid right off the bat.

Love you all... especially Zeke! :)
Uncle Trav