Monday, June 07, 2010

A Spirit-Filled Moment

Our worship band from church played and sang this morning for the statewide annual conference for United Methodists. It was an amazing experience. While we were singing a song that's relatively new to us, I was struck in such a profound way by the lyrics:

Oh that the church would arise
Oh that we would see with Jesus' eyes
We could show the world Heaven
Show what it means to be His
To be formed in His likeness

Show them that they have a purpose

As I thought about being "formed in His likeness," I thought about the fact that after we sang, an African-American preacher was going to take the stage, someone who has been on the forefront of civil rights for decades. My, how humans have struggled to grasp the idea that those who look different than them are just as much created in the likeness of God as they are. We like to create God in our own image, instead of the other way around. It also reminded me of the photo and caption at the top of this blog. The first time I saw it, I felt a sharp pain in my eyes and throat as I fought back tears. Yes, this image truly exemplifies what it will look like when "thy kingdom comes." Oh, that we would see each other with Jesus' eyes, or as one Christian writer put it, that we would see others as Christ sees them, that for us, there would be no such thing as "other."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sehnucht for i thou

Anonymous said...

sehnsucht for i though