Saturday, January 16, 2010

Movie Reviews

My dream job would be working as a travel writer. (I know...get in line.) Second to that would be being a movie critic. So, with that, I present my reviews of some recent movies we've seen.

It's Complicated: Not the best offering from Nancy Meyers. The Holiday and Something's Gotta Give are better. But given the skimpy offerings at the movies this time of year, it's worth checking out. It's chick lite but Brad found it entertaining enough. Alec Baldwin is funny in just the right ways and Meryl Streep is delightful.

Avatar: I wasn't sure how I would feel about this movie. Loved it! The visual effects more than make up for a rather thin story line. This isn't your parents' 3-D experience with the cheap-o paper glasses. This is the future of what it means to go to the movies! (Now, if only they would make Eclipse using this technology!)

New Moon: LOVED it. But you knew I would. Nuff said.

Star Trek: Can't believe we didn't see this one in the theatre. We rented from the Red Box when we had a date night over Christmas. My, my. Really fun movie. Absolutely loved it. The young bucks who play Spock and James Kirk are fabulous. They really get the parts right. You can see this James Kirk morphing into William Shatner in a few years. The effects are cool but the acting and story hold their own. Definitely worth renting!

Julie and Julia: I wish this had been a Julia Child biopic. The modern story line is irritating but Meryl Streep more than delivers as Julia Child...So much so, that I wanted much more of her story. How wonderful to see someone who is as enchanted by France and her people as I am. It made me very eager to read Julia's book that mom got me for Christmas.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: We started watching the DVD last night. I haven't read the books (shame on me!) so I had a hard time following along in the first 20 minutes. That's as far as I made it. Will muddle through it for sure but so far, there's not enough magic to keep this muggle interested.

Paranormal Activity: We saw this in the theatre back in the fall. Yeah, it's scary. Way scary. Only rent this if you can handle not being able to sleep at night for a week afterward. Brad recently got this on DVD. I refuse to watch it again.

We're going to see Young Victoria tonight. It's gotten good reviews. I'm eager to see it! We always look forward to the unveiling of the Oscar nominated films. We're rather bummed that there will be TEN best picture noms this year. It's too bad because it makes it less selective. Plus, we always like to do our best to see the 5 best pic noms and seeing 10 just seems way more daunting. Predictions for best pic noms: The Hurt Locker, Up in the Air, Precious, Inglorious Basterds. Other possibilities? Invictus, Nine, A Single Man (Colin Firth will get an acting nom for this one, at least).

2 comments:

just jill said...

We watched Star Trek on an imax screen at Kennedy Space Center - how cool is that ?!
Now it's my turn to offer reading material. I have Harry Potter waiting for you

Jill

GLS said...

Felt the same way about Julia and Julie. My mom got me the Julia book for Christmas as well...hope to read it soon, if Anna allows! ha!