No, I don't mean swimming lessons. I mean, life lessons. Zeke and I were at the pool today. I saw a woman with two little boys. The boys were dark-skinned and she was fair skinned. It didn't seem likely that they were her biological kids. One of the little boys (age 5, maybe?) came over and flashed a big beautiful smile at Zeke. Zeke was too wrapped up in his water play to notice but I said "hi!" and he grinned before jumping away. I wanted so much to ask if they were adopted, but I also didn't want to ask in front of them since they were older. I just felt such warmth watching the three of them. And then it occurred to me. It's Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Not so many years ago, these precious children would not have been ALLOWED to swim in this pool. I nearly wept at this realization...and that it meant my Quilla would not have been allowed in this pool because of the color of her skin.
So, we're now SECOND for a baby girl on the unofficial waiting list!!! As always, I must stress this is an unofficial list as our agency doesn't release the number of families that are waiting. A family that was DTE (Dossier to Ethiopia) in May, 2009 received their referral today (so excited for them!). The next DTE on our unofficial list is a family with a DTE one week before us. What we don't know is how many families are not on our unofficial list between May and August. God knows and holds all these wonderful details in the palm of God's hands. We trust in God's perfect timing. It's exciting!!
1 comment:
So exciting!!! I can't wait to meet Quilla!!!
Love,
Misty
Post a Comment