Friday, September 11, 2009

Thoughts on Entertainment Options

Even with our busy lives, we manage to read books, catch a TV show and occasionally watch a movie after Zeke goes to bed. I'm still struggling through the Russian novel "Anna Karenina." It's only getting mildly better and I'm approaching the half way mark. Can't wait to be done with it so I can go on to "A Summer Affair" by Elin Hilderbrand. Anyway, I thought I'd pass along some reviews and thoughts on some recent flicks we've seen.

*Glee (TV show)-It's about showchoir kids in high school. So, how could we not watch this show? We were looking forward to seeing a new episode Wednesday night. We were not very satisfied with what we saw. The show really lacks heart. Heart is what made shows like "Scrubs" and "Freaks and Geeks" so much fun to watch. Some of the characters on Glee are just mean. There's very little in the show that's sweet (again, to see sweet done right, check out Scrubs and Fs&Gs). We'll keep watching because it's about showchoir but I sure hope it gets better. I suppose it will tide us over until Survivor starts up again. Survivor and Lost are about the only "must see" TV for us.

*Darjeeling Limited-It's much better than Wes Anderson's other films (The Life Aquatic and Royal Tenenbaums were both blah). This film at least has an interesting setting and better characters. Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody and Jason Schwartzman work well as the three brothers. The soundtrack alone makes this movie a winner. Thanks for the recommendation, Auntie Wee-Wee!

*Happy Go Lucky-A top-notch film that definitely deserves to be watched. Like me, you'll fall in love with the lovely Poppy who has such a wonderful attitude about other people and life in general. It's a British film, so you'll want to listen carefully so you catch all the really clever lines. Ahhh, I love how British people use language.

*The Time Traveler's Wife-Loved the book...LOVED the book. The first time I read it, I didn't get it. Upon reading it a second and third times, it became one of my faves. So, I was pumped to see the film adaptation. While Eric Bana delivers as Henry (kind of), the movie itself falls flat and never gives the emotional punch that makes the book so great.

*Sleuth-It's like watching a play on film. The directing is good but at times, feels forced. However, kudos to Jude Law for a solid performance. Michael Cain is looking OLD.

*Can't wait to see "New Moon" (yes, of the Twilight series)! That's really the only movie I'm pumped to see this fall. The upcoming movie release has Brad reading through the book. His only comment so far? "I like the happy Bella better than the depressed Bella." Yes, New Moon is my least favorite of the four books. Still, it's an important part of the bigger story and is necessary to set up all the interesting plot lines that follow in the last 2 books.

*I'm curious how "The Lovely Bones" will translate to the big screen. The book was ok, the story is inventive and the movie is directed by the very capable Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy and King Kong). So, we'll see. We saw a trailer for it. I'm interested.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what did you all like about happy-go-lucky? we saw it in blacksburg last decemeber... but mainly because we lived there without ever having seeing a movie in the lyric theater. we had one more chance while we were back so we took it. if i want to watch a 'happy-go-lucky' woman being yelled at by a 'bulled-up' man, there are plenty of options to see the real thing...