And so we wait. It's been one week since we sent off for our new I-171H. I pray that it comes quickly (i.e. this week or next). When it does come, you'll probably hear me scream, no matter where you live (this goes for Thailand residents too!). To begin to prepare and pass the time, we started a registry at Target this weekend. Lots of fun but we realized we needed to do some more research before we decided on a crib, bedding, stroller, car seat, etc. Thanks to Misty for some great recommendations on a stroller/car seat combo! As we were pointing our Target "gun" at the items we wanted to scan, we had to keep in mind that Zeke will probably be 5 months old when we get him. So anything made for a six month old will have a short shelf life. On the other hand, Asian babies in general tend to be smaller so maybe he could get some mileage out of six month old clothes. We'll just have to wait until we get the photos and measurements of our little guy!
One great thing about Vietnam adoptions is that families who go to your baby's orphanage before you do to get their child will take a care package to your baby. How wonderful to know that you can send clothes, pacifiers, etc. to your sweet babe weeks before you arrive to get him! For China, it's very hard to get care packages to your baby so being able to get something to Zeke before we arrive is a blessing!
We've been reminded by several people who are home with their baby to savor this time...our lives will soon change. I guess that's why we went out of town a couple of weeks ago for one final "escape" and why we're renting a lot of movies...speaking of which...
We highly recommend "The Lives of Others." Yes, it's in German but there's a reason it won the Oscar for best foreign film. I was moved to tears at the end. I think I was so moved because it's about the Stasi, the secret police who struck fear and terror in the hearts of East Germans and I have visited the Stasi building in Berlin that's featured in the film. I've looked at those files. I've walked those hallways. I've interviewed people who were victimized by the Stasi. The ending is so poignant. I highly recommend this movie. Another from the foreign film category that is a close second to "The Lives of Others" is "Pan's Labyrinth." An excellent film from Spain that's in the same vein as "Life is Beautiful." It's about the stories we tell ourselves and children to cope with unspeakable violence in the world.
2 comments:
"Life is Beautiful" is one of my favorite movies! I can only watch it when I'm ready for a cry though.
Hope your new I-171H comes soon...little Zeke will be here before you know it!
Have fun w/ the registry!
Laura
Did you have a great time registering??? Joel and I found it to be so fun!!! Good luck with your researching of baby gear!!
love,
Misty
Post a Comment