Saturday, June 28, 2008

Pergamon Museum

We basically had a free day today to tool around Berlin. I was the only one who wanted to visit the Pergamon Museum so I set out by myself. It's one of Europe's most famous museums of antiquities. The museum gets its name from the ancient Greek city of Pergamon and when you enter the first exhibition hall, you are surrounded by the Pergamon Altar. It's really breath-taking and quite amazing. Then, there was a special exhibit on Babylon. Entering that exhibit, you walked through the Ishtar Gate. It's made of blue mosaic and features 3-D tiling of lions, dragons and bulls, symbols of Babylonian gods. The exhibit included all aspects of Babylonian life...from their kings and rulers to the tools they used to work in the fields. It's amazing to see the items that belonged to people just like us so many years ago. There was jewelry that had been removed from a grave site that looked fashionable enough to wear today! There were hair combs and games. Stone tablets with the most intricate carvings I have ever seen were actual writing tablets used to record letters from the king. So, I spent several hours there and had a wonderful time. It was getting quite packed by the time I left. I walked around for a good while and then walked back to the hotel. It was a haul but it was a nice walk and a good chance to see different parts of the city.

I don't know what my internet connection will be like in the coming week. I will post as much as I can. In the meantime, thanks for following along and have a great weekend!

No comments: