Thursday, May 08, 2008

Plans are set...what to do now?

My plans are set. Two nights in Ghent (Belgium) and two nights in Paris. I may take the train to Bruges from Ghent...I think it's only 20 minutes away. After seeing the movie "In Bruges," I don't think I can pass it up. What to do in Paris? There's more than enough to keep me entertained just wandering around different arrondissement (neighborhoods) and enjoying whatever shops and cafes I find. That's basically what I did last summer. The only tourist thing I wanted to do was visit the Sacre Coeur, which I did and which I loved! I will definitely go back! It's one of the most beautiful churches I've ever seen. On the other hand, there's some cool out of town stuff to do too. From a young age, I've been fascinated with Versailles. Brad and I visited the palace when we went for our honeymoon. It was magical! Many of you know I read the book Abundance about Marie Antoinette last year while in France...heck, I was sitting the Tuileries, reading about the Tuileries...does it get any better than that?!?! And I flirted with the idea of going back to Versailles but did not. So, I'm debating it this time...And I found this: A bike tour to Versailles!! Check it out:

After we meet at our Paris office, we'll take the train out to Versailles, where our first stop is the village market for your baguette, cheese, ham, wine, and whatever else you desire for our picnic later in the Chateau's gardens. We'll also visit the Chateau, Marie Antoinette's hamlet, the Petit and Grand Trianons, and more!

Sounds amazing, huh?!?! You get a bike and time to just roam around the grounds. Plus, when Brad and I visited, we didn't get out to the hamlet or the Trianons. So, this would be something new.

Another option? Visit Mont St Michel. It's a village built on a tall island! Click the link if you're not familiar with it and check it out. Very cool. But it's an all day deal. So is the trip to Versailles. And that's why I ended up NOT doing any of these day trips last year. I couldn't bring myself to leave Paris for an entire day. Oh well. I'm still mulling over my options. Some of my friends who are world travelers highly recommend Mont St Michel so I'll keep that in mind...

Ahhh, what fun...to dream of far away places and things...

I'm trying to be as patient as I can be while waiting to file our I-600. We could get the "go" anyday now. It's really hard to wait. Once we file, we'll be in the pre-travel wait. Very exciting. I'm eager to get this filing behind us!!

2 comments:

Michelle and Peter said...

Have fun on your trip it will sure help the time go by. I hope you file soon, just think how close you are to being in the last stage of waiting.

Michelle

Anonymous said...

That sounds great! Gend is not far from Anvers (where my sister lives) and Bruges (which is very nice!)You can also spend one day in Amsterdam which is worth the visit.
Mont Saint Michel is in Normandy and pretty far from Paris.This might be exhausting. But there are not so many opportunities to visit the place.
I'm sure you'll love it all!
Have fun!
Benedicte