Monday, December 07, 2009

Milestone

Zeke took off his pants by himself last night. That may sound like a small, silly thing to note but it's not. When our Parents As Teachers educator evaluated Zeke a few weeks ago, one of the big developments to watch for was undressing and dressing himself. At that time, he didn't do anything related to dressing or undressing except occasionally kicking his shoes off in the car. Last night, I told him was time to put on his PJs. He was bouncing on the bed and I asked him to take off his pants. He stood up and put his hands on the waistband and started to pull them down. Well, Daddy and I cheered him on until he had taken them off completely! Woo-Hoo! He definitely "helps" get dressed but he doesn't seem ready to do it himself. So, that will be the next big thing.

This weekend, Zeke told me to "go away" when I was helping him eat. What he really meant was "I'm done eating and I want out of my chair." I told him that it's not nice to tell someone to go away. I left it at that. Later, we were playing. He was trying to crawl onto the chair where I was sitting. He said "go away" and what he really meant was "I'm trying to get up on this chair and you're in my way. Would you move?" I put him on my lap and I told him that when he told Mommy to go away that it made me very sad, in fact, it made me want to cry. I told him that it was not a nice thing to say to people. Later, when we were playing again and he didn't want me to take him out of the clothes hamper, he said, "Go...Mommy." So, at least he softened his words. I know that he has just heard a kid at school say "go away" and that he doesn't understand the tone of the language. I'm sure this is the first of many unpleasant things he'll pick up from other kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember Katie saying this in Vegas? And we changed it up to, "My job, mommy!" You can just repeat to him what he really means, and he'll parrot it back to you...as you know, I can swear that this stuff works! ;)

...and good job keeping patient too!