Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Seven Ways to Bring Light to Black Friday!

I admit it. I enjoy going out to a few stores the morning of Black Friday. Most of the early morning, sit-up-all-night-in-the-freezing-cold shoppers are gone and in bed. Only a few people have emerged from their turkey coma and hit the streets before 11AM. I like drinking in the decorations (and maybe a Starbucks latte), the Christmas music, and the general jolly atmosphere that comes with being out and about, even if I don't buy anything.

In recent years, I've seen a strong outcry from some on Facebook against the consumerism that Black Friday represents. So, I want to empower you to make some great shopping choices this week. Here's a list of ways you can embrace the meaning of the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons while also getting your shopping fix.

An ornament made by an adoptive dad
  1. Buy some bouncy balls and blocks for orphans in China through Half the Sky for $25. You can also buy a trunk of dress-up clothes, fingerpaints, music lessons, or a preschool field trip. If none of the items on this page float your boat, you can always do a half or full child sponsorship here.
  2. Help prevent children from becoming orphans by supporting Because Every Mother Matters. Fashionistas will love their Tacky 4 Africa headbands and totes. Straight up philanthropists can sponsor a mama in Ethiopia for $55/month. You'll get photos and lots of love from a mom who's learning to make a sustainable life for her and her children.
  3. A cool shirt from Sevenly.org
  4. Support a family who's adopting by buying their swag. I LOVE this Africa ornament (pictured above). We bought a couple of Africa ornaments from this family last year. They are SO CUTE. Hey, this dad even makes an ornament for China. Yeah, I'll probably end up buying it too.
  5. Confession: I love to shop for a cause. Sevenly has some super hip threads, and each purchase goes toward an amazing cause. I bought shirts for Love Without Boundaries (a group that provides medical care to orphans in China) and a charity in Ethiopia that helps people who are missing limbs. Each week, a different charity is in the spotlight and the ultra cool t-shirt designs tie to the charity's mission--You only get one week to buy that charity's shirts before they are gone. I bet someone on your Christmas list would love owning a shirt that helps a great cause AND is only on sale for one week. Talk about giving something you can't buy at the local department store!
  6. Because the light of this and every season is Jesus, you can be his hands and feet by supporting a mission organization. Regardless of which flavor of church you prefer, there's a way to put some dollars into a global effort to shine the light of Jesus to people who need and crave hope. The United Methodist Global Ministries and Committee on Relief have an entire catalog to help you "Rethink Christmas." Southern Baptists rock the Lottie Moon offering (named for the tiny but mighty missionary who showed some intense Jesus love to people in China more than 100 years ago).
  7. Blankets, books, and bikes! Buy one of these items for a child or teen through Families in Vietnam. We love, love, love this group. Besides all the great charity work they do, they also help adoptive families stay in touch with birth families. I know the founder of this organization personally and can attest to the fabulous work they do. Bonus: Much of the work being done through this group supports families in the area of Vietnam where Zeke was born!
  8. Photo courtesy of Springfield Little Theatre
  9. Support a local theater, art gallery, or other arts venue. Ok, this may seem a little out of place on this list, but don't overlook the importance of keeping the arts vibrant in your community. Children (and adults) benefit from being involved in the arts. Just yesterday, the kids and I sat at the kitchen table and did watercolor paintings. It was the most peaceful 30 minutes of our day! Back in the spring, Zeke took acting lasses at Springfield Little Theatre, and they were a real confidence builder for him. So, you can buy a piece of art from a local artist to give as a Christmas gift, or you can buy a loved one tickets to a local theatrical production.
What are some of your favorite groups or charities you support with your dollars at this time of year? How do you plan to make Black Friday bright?

1 comment:

Michelle Jackson said...

LOVE this!! Yes to all of it!! Miss all of you so much!